How it works
All current and former AFS-USA Host Families and students hosted in the U.S. in good standing with AFS are eligible to submit either a short video or photo with a written description for the chance to win the Grand Prize, an all-expenses-paid*** trip to Orlando, Florida, for the duration of four days and three nights.
The winning host family and the AFS student will receive free roundtrip airfare to Orlando, Florida for an all-expenses-paid trip together. If the student is currently on their AFS program in the U.S., the award can be used within one year of their return to their home country.
An online public vote will be used to determine the 25 contest finalists. From this pool of finalists, a single entry will be awarded the Grand Prize through a carefully-vetted random selection process.
Keep reading for the complete set of rules, terms, and conditions.
- Participation in, and registration for, AFS Reel Life is free. No purchase is necessary.
- In order to participate, contestants must:
- Be a current or past AFS-USA host family member OR current or past AFS exchange student hosted in the U.S.
- Be 18 years of age at the Contest start date or have parental consent.
- All host family members wishing to partake in the Grand Prize must currently reside in the U.S.
- Currently be in good standing with AFS or in good standing with AFS upon completion of their most recent hosting or volunteer service with AFS.
- By submitting an entry, you agree that you have checked with your host family/exchange student about entering the contest and that both parties agree to do so.
- All contest submissions must be in the form of EITHER:
- A short video (one minute or less) with a brief written description (3,000 characters or less), OR;
- A photo with a brief written description (3,000 characters or less).
- Contestants must submit their entries through the submission form found at http://reellife.afsusa.org/register?return=/upload-entry.
- Submissions should depict an authentic host family moment and must:
- Document memories from a single hosting program year*.
- Feature no more than one AFS host student (except in the case of double placement where two students are hosted simultaneously).
- Contain no objectionable content.
- Be in line with the AFS mission.
- Submissions deemed not to comply with all of the above will be removed from the competition/site.
- Submissions are due no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on Monday, May 7, 2018. Late submissions will not be eligible.
- Following the submission deadline, all eligible** entries will be entered into a public vote, which will run from May 8 – 22, 2018.
- The 25 entrant(s) whose submissions draw the highest number of votes by 11:59 p.m. EST on May 22, 2018 will be declared the finalists.
- If there is a tie for the 25th-highest number of entries, all entrants tied for this position will be included in the pool of finalists.
- From the 25 finalists, one entry will be selected as the Grand Prize winner. This selection will be made randomly during a live broadcast.
- The Grand Prize trip will be an all-expenses-paid trip to Orlando, Florida!
- *Repeat host families may enter more than one submission, as long as each submission represents a different hosting program cycle.
- **To be eligible for the voting, contestants must meet the requirements listed under rule 2, and the submission must meet all of the criteria outlined in rules 3-6.
- ***See Terms and Conditions for included expenses.
Terms and Conditions:
- AFS-USA will cover travel, lodging, meals and entertainment costs associated with the Grand Prize trip, including:
- Economy Airfare.
- Standard hotel charges (not including incidental costs).
- A per-person voucher to be applied toward meals and entertainment during the trip.
- Excludes medical and/or trip insurance. By participating in the contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless AFS-USA, Inc. against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in this contest and/or the Grand Prize trip.
- Only host parent(s), host sibling(s) who live or lived at home during the program year, and one hosted student may go on the trip (except in the case of double placement where two students are hosted simultaneously).
- The AFS host student who participates in the trip must be the same student featured in the winning contest submission.
- The duration of the trip not to exceed four (4) days and three (3) nights.
- The airline carrier and flight itinerary will be at the sole discretion of AFS.
- The trip must be booked 30 days prior to departure and may take place any time before January 1, 2020*
- Excluding the following blackout dates:
- July 3 - 9, 2019.
- November 22 - December 1, 2019.
- December 20 - 31, 2019.
- However, if the hosted student of the winning family is currently on program, the family may elect to wait one year to claim their prize.
- The returning hosted student’s international itinerary may not exceed 30 days.
- Upon submitting their photo or video, entrants will be required to provide their full name and contact information, which will be used to confirm their identity and communicate contest updates and results. In the case of text messaging, message and data rates may apply. Entrants may opt-out of receiving emails from AFS-USA at any time, but they should provide another means of contact for the purpose of alerting them if they win.
- The Grand Prize trip location is subject to change by AFS-USA depending on feasibility, security, or any other issue that could hinder participants’ abilities to safely enjoy the trip.
- Contest results or participation will not be considered when evaluating host family members for future AFS hosting, study abroad, or volunteer experiences.
- The content of all submissions may be used by AFS in any future initiatives and for any purpose, including print or online marketing. Portions of the winning trips may also be documented by AFS, and any resulting footage may be used by AFS-USA in any manner or for any purpose.
- Winners are responsible for any taxes associated with prizes received.
- The contest is void where prohibited by law.
- Winners may be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility and a publicity release, unless prohibited by law.
- AFS-USA Staff members are prohibited from participating as entrants in the contest.